Cardiff Council and Llandaff North Residents' Association have a show garden at the RHS show Cardiff 2012. Afterwards, the garden will be moved to its permanent site in Llandaff North.

27 March 2012

Keeping busy

I am writing this as I wait for news on my little sister who is, as I write, having a caesarian. As she's in Madrid, there's not much I can do!

I paid another visit to the nursery yesterday and the construction is coming on well. For practical reasons we will have to move the 'advertising hoarding' to the rear, so the supporting struts are not visible to the public, and lower the height of the new left hand fence. Final alterations, planting plan and changes to the client brief have to be submitted by 3rd April! As yet, I don't have any plants!

The weather in Cardiff is still glorious and set until the weekend. (I even had my first ice-lolly of the year yesterday- in March!) I am starting to worry that it will be followed by a very long and wet few weeks.

As the RHS doesn't allow any branding in their show gardens, I have asked the local school, Hawthorn Primary to paint a mural to represent the advertising hoarding that is on the 'real' garden site in Llandaff North. I had a meeting today with assistant headmistress Gill Kellam to talk through a potential design. Year 1 (5-6 year olds) have been studying spring plants over the past few weeks, so the mural and project ties in nicely with their curriculum. They will be assisted by some year 6 pupils, and will be drawing the design tomorrow and painting it next week before the Easter holidays! All fitted around end of term events and school trips! 'Big up' to the teaching staff!

I've also been reading the show manual, and visited the council parks dept for the necessary signatures from the council lead, Will Power. Yes that really is his name! The manual covers everything from producing leaflets to very detailed health and safety requirements.

I'll be spending this evening applying for a grant for the community noticeboard (a temporary wooden one will be made for the show because I haven't been able to raise the £3000 in time to buy one), and writing the information for our leaflet, kindly being produced for us by Brett/Love your Landscape.

No comments: